Skip to Contentseparator HomeseparatorCheck License StatussepartorContact UssepartorRequest for Assistance
Welcome to the California Department of Insurance
Site tools
Decrease font size Increase font size Site map Help Print-friendly version
How to Participate in the Intervenor Compensation Program at the California Department of Insurance

Step 1

Apply for a finding of Eligibility to Seek Compensation with the Office of the Public Advisor

  • By submitting a Request for Finding of Eligibility to Seek Compensation (See California Code of Regulations, Title 10, Chapter 5 (CC&R) Section 2623.2 for suggested form language.)

Step 2

Intervene in any Rate Application or Investigatory or Regulatory Hearing involving Property and Casualty Insurance (i.e. home and auto insurance)

  • File a Petition to Intervene and Petition for a Hearing with the Office of the Public Advisor (See CC&R, Section 2623.3 for suggested form language.)
  • Wait for a Ruling Granting Intervention
  • Participate by Substantially Contributing to the proceedings in presenting relevant issues, evidence or arguments which are separate and distinct from those of the California Department of Insurance.

Step 3

At the end of the proceedings, submit a Request for Award of Compensation showing that your participation resulted in more relevant, credible, and non-frivolous information being made available to the California Insurance Commissioner. (See CC&R, Section 2623.5 for suggested form language.)


California Code of Regulations, Title 10, Chapter 5, Sections 2661.1 through 2662.8, and Sections 2623.2, 2623.3, and 2623.5

Edward Wu, Public Advisor, 300 South Spring Street, South Tower, #12700, Los Angeles, CA 90013, (213) 346-6645